Kandy Lake is a manmade lake created in 1807 by the last King of Kandy. King Sri Wikrena Rajasinha. A decorative wall, called the Walakul wall, runs for 2060 feet along the banks of the lake . In the middle of the lake is an Island upon which is the Royal Summer House, Kandy Lake has a perimeter of 2.1 miles and a maximum depth of 60 feet. The lake which is near the Temple of the Tooth Relic was built by King Sri Wikrama Rajasinha, Previously there had been a paddy field named “Tigolwela” in this place.
Later on when the Astrologist of King Wikramabahu was inspecting the place to ascertain if it were a Jaya Bhumi ( a prosperous land) a white turtle was found and the King built it a little pond to live in. Therefore the pond was called “Kiri Muhuda”. it was King Sri Wikrema Rajasinha who converted that small pond into a magnificent lake. The island in the middle of the lake was known as Gimhana Madapa where the King used to rest. It is also believed that the court ladies who did not obey the king were detained in this island, A few brooks that originate from the Hantana mountain range and Rajapihilla channel supply water to the Kandy Lake.